*This post originally appeared on Michael Morrow Financial Planner.
One of the biggest concerns that retirees have is whether their nest egg will be large enough to support them during retirement. The worst case scenario that every retiree fears is experiencing a market downturn just as he or she is ready to enter retirement. Since retirees need to draw from their retirement portfolio in order to live, they must be aware of and prepared to deal with sequence-of-returns risk.
In my article Jack Bogle Warns: Prepare for Two Massive Market Declines in The Next Decade, I wrote: “In simple terms, sequence of return risk means that in retirement, it can be more critical when you get returns than what returns you get.” Investopedia defines sequence-of-returns risk as “the risk of receiving lower or negative returns early in a period when withdrawals are made from an individual’s underlying investments. The order or the sequence of investment returns is a primary concern for retirees who are living off the income and capital of their investments” (Investopedia – Source).
While investors don’t have to worry about sequence-of-returns risk before retirement, it becomes a big issue during retirement. If you plan to retire soon and you want to limit sequence-of-returns risk, keep reading for some tips and strategies.
When you make risky investments there’s always the chance of losing your money. For example, if your portfolio only includes stocks you’re at the mercy of the market. If your stocks take a beating and you continue to withdraw money from your portfolio, you make it difficult for your portfolio to recover. At Aspen Creek Wealth Strategies we recommend a “risk bucket” strategy based on the rule of 100. If you are 65 years old then 65% of your portfolio should go into a safer bucket of assets. You can put the remaining 35% into a riskier bucket. Investors can increase their chances of a successful retirement by making wise investments and avoiding unnecessary risk.
Lower Percentage of Stocks
Another strategy to consider: during the first years of your retirement your portfolio shouldn’t include a high percentage of stocks. Over time, though, you can increase the percentage depending on the risk you feel comfortable taking. The first years of retirement are the most important. If you withdraw too much money or lose too much money as a result of risky investments, you’ll make the rest of your retirement difficult.
One of the easiest ways to protect your retirement funds is to only withdraw the amount that you actually need. Ask yourself before making a big purchase, “Is it really necessary?” Every retiree wants to enjoy their retirement, but you don’t need to carelessly spend your money to enjoy yourself. If you withdraw your money wisely you’ll help ensure it lasts you and you don’t outlast it.